Skip to main content

Cilantro

Just the family wanted to eat out tonight. Nothing too fancy, yet nothing too casual, either. Ended up at the recently opened Cilantro, a hop, skip and a jump away from Pane and Amore (Love). Although I was a bit skeptical about trying out a new place, and that too because my dad read a review in this Sunday’s DAWN (I was like, Abu, really? You want to try out a new place because of a newspaper ka review? Kisi se puch toh lein!). Khair, my Abu being my Abu, insisted we go there, so with some trepidation, I did. Little did I know, that I was entering a fun, colorful little joint with one wall filled with chefs from all over the world. Is it weird I knew half of them? And if the owners of Cilantro read this, please add Marco Pierre White’s picture to the wall. Blasphemous he’s not there. Thank you. 

On to the food. It’s very rare when every single person likes and enjoys what they ordered. Now, if you know me, you know I tend to never, ever remember the proper names of things eaten. So please excuse that lapse of mine. Before we got our order, we got a complimentary pizza toast type thing, which at first glance seemed dubious regarding the taste, and I was afraid the toppings would make the toast itself soggy. We were pleasantly surprised to find it was quite delicious! The flavors of the tomato base, onions and green pepper on the crispy toasted bread coated with mozzarella was a beautiful combination. I ordered the calamari and prawn soup, which is not for those who like mild, flavorful soups. This was hot, like hot and sour soup hot, and as expected, frozen seafood tends to have that halkiii si smell. I must say though, that the prawn and calamari weren’t too rubbery or overcooked. Next up, as appetizers, we ordered Lunch on a Stick. While it may sound interesting, to say the least, it was deeelllliiicccious! Kind of like a desified version of a corn dog, with fries covered in garlic mayo, which was again, very good. Just the right kick of garlic and a hint of sour. Lunch on a Stick was served in a fry basket, and me being easy to entertain, found the curls of carrots on top really cute, and yummy to eat. The batter-fried chicken that comprised of our appetizer had a salsa verde type filling, and the batter itself wasn’t bad at all. It wasn’t the tempura batter at Sakura by any stretch, mind you, but had some crunch to it. I wouldn’t mind having that as a midnight snack, to tell you the truth. 

My sister ordered the Caesar salad, which she enjoyed as well. I asked for the grilled chicken and mushroom spaghetti, which while it lacked salt, was beautifully done. Tender pieces of chicken flavored with tarragon, and a hint of spice to cut the richness of the white cream sauce. Once again, I had my entertaining carrot curls, which might bother some, but since I like my veggies, I ate them right along with my meal. My sister ordered a club sandwich, which she and Abu shared, and it looked mighty fine. 

Even Abu, fussy as he is about his club sandwiches, enjoyed it immensely. My brother in-law ordered a steak, the Americano, I believe, and since he wasn’t talking while eating, I’m guessing he really liked it. Oh, and did I mention it was pink in the middle? The steak, not my brother in-law. From my limited knowledge, I could tell the steak had been grilled to perfection. My mother ordered the Hannah or Hannan chicken, not too sure, and she told me the sauce was jalapeno flavored, and she really liked her dinner too. I also asked for the mint lemonade, which was a refreshing change, since most places usually use 7 Up as the basis of their lemonade, this was closer to home, made in water and strong on the mint, which is how I love it. 

The service was bit slow, however. But I was expecting that since it’s a relatively new place and as all businesses, will settle with time. Now, considering that two people from the six of us hadn’t ordered any entree, the bill was phir bhi much, much lower than expected, and with the quality of the food, ambiance, and servings, unbelievably reasonable. After that, we couldn’t resist Pane and Amore’s cupcakes, could we? If we hadn’t been so stuffed, I would have insisted we sit there and have a cup of coffee and share cupcakes. That still didn’t stop me from taking a bite (Or 2) out of my peanut butter cupcake, which was just…I mean…I have no words. And I have more cupcake for me tomorrow! Yay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Thai - For the Love of Ramen

Disclaimer: A friend sent me this ramen to try, so I didn't pay for it, but my opinion is as honest as it always is. Okay, I have to admit. I'm a sucker for packaged, unhealthy, and sinfully delicious ramen. So when my friend Omer, husband of the very famous Eman's Cakes (A blog is up on that already, by the way) told me he wanted to send over authentic Thai ramen to me, imported from Thailand, was I going to say no? Of course not! What arrived at my doorstep was this: Of course, there was no sign of English anywhere on this, but packaged ramen aren't that hard to follow through with. So out came the ramen itself into the bowl, along with the shrimp flavored powder, the spicy sauce that makes everything come together and a guesstimate of the water I wanted. What I ended up after nuking it for 2 minutes was this: This was soupy, spicy, not particularly strong in shrimp taste, probably because I added way too much water, but that's how I like it, 2 me

Where Customers Aren't Wanted

So I've been writing reviews and blogs for a long time now. And never have I ever written a negative review for anyone because I firmly believe I don't have the right to hurt anyone's business. I have been so firm in this practice that I have often been labeled as a 'bought blogger', someone who is paid to write positive reviews (I wish! I wouldn't have to work 2 jobs then). This recent experience however, takes the cake. Literally! I have waited a week to write this review just so that I could recall it objectively and without that hot flush of anger that comes when a paying customer is disrespected by a home-based caterer. Now I'll be honest with you, there have of course been situations where the food is so unpalatable that I haven't been able to consume it, but I have spoken directly to the owners of the establishments and left it up to them to decide how to proceed further. There has even been a situation where a home-based baker actually forgot

Steak_CFU: Is the Hype Real?

Every so often, an eatery pops up and creates an immediate uproar with an influx of reviews on social media labeling it as God's gift to mankind. Steak_CFU has recently been just one such place, with a negative review facing passionate backlash of 'Haw hai, never ever is it possible for falana dhimkana cheez to happen at this blessed by the angels eatery, and I've been ten billion times already!' With bookings going on for a month in advance, and the eatery having survived for over 5 months, my curiosity was piqued enough to make my first visit at 6:30 p.m. which is more of a linner (lunch+dinner) time slot I detest unless I'm intermittent fasting for a friend's birthday dinner, and a reservation which I did not make.  As soon as we were served the menu, the charming Khurram Rasheed who is the man behind the food walked in to greet us, (At this point, I have a story to tell which I shall share after my steak experience) and I left the choice of flavor, steak