Skip to main content

An Okra-ing We Will Go!

Okra has always been a beautiful experience. And when one has the company of four wonderful friends (Missed one), dinner becomes an even better treat. I got there late, as usual, (I sahwy) but was just in time for the bread basket. Saira mixed together chili oil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and the resulting concoction with the multigrain bread and baguette was beautiful! The Mezze Platter I think I’ve had for the third time, and it has been the same deliciousness every single time. I don’t think anyone can make the hummus like Okra makes hummus. There was also a roasted cheese type thing that was salty, tangy and spread on the baguette was a party-in-my-mouth.  

Amidst a thoroughly enjoyable conversation came our main courses. Now, I don’t know the exact names, but Saira ordered a gourmet burger, which I didn’t try but the fries were definitely NOT the pre-packaged frozen ones, yet were crispy and salted well, served with a side of mustard and ketchup. Sabeen and I ordered steaks, and while I don’t know the name of Sabeen’s steak, I do know that she had a circle of scallops surrounding her steak, which were, to me at least, a mix between mussels and fish, quite an interesting texture, and something I would really like to try again! My steak was done medium well, pink in the middle, just the way I like it, and was served with a blue cheese sauce that actually tasted of like Gruyere, and went very well with the steak and side of vegetables, which honestly I could have had all on their own with the blue cheese sauce. I also ordered a drink which I didn’t quite catch the name of, but it was the best shikanjabeen-tasting drink I’ve had in a while. The slightest hint of ginger was definitely refreshing and zesty. Qamarunnisa ordered a risotto, I believe, and Gulnaz ordered a shrimpy-pasta thingie, which she loved. 

For dessert, we had Sabeens absolutely-fantastically-yummy-in-my-mouth macaroons, which she wasn’t happy with, and I can’t wait to try out what her perfect ones taste like! The vanilla ice cream with sea salt and olive oil was interesting, and a must try for the adventurous ones. Flecks of vanilla in the ice cream itself, with the salt and hint of olive oil flavor was a combination I didn’t believe I would particularly enjoy, but the flavors strangely enough, went together quite well. 

Then of course, I had to try out Okra’s macaroons, and those are something I can definitely go for again, specially with a cup of coffee and a good book to keep me company.  We also got to meet Mariam Bilgrami , who was there for dinner with her family, and Ayaz Khan, who had been busy in the kitchen, but whom we had to meet and thank personally for such wonderful food. Our server Zahoor also deserves a special mention. Friendly, knowledgeable and attentive without being intrusive. May everyone have as fun a dinner as I have had tonight *Happy dance*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Thai - For the Love of Ramen

Disclaimer: A friend sent me this ramen to try, so I didn't pay for it, but my opinion is as honest as it always is. Okay, I have to admit. I'm a sucker for packaged, unhealthy, and sinfully delicious ramen. So when my friend Omer, husband of the very famous Eman's Cakes (A blog is up on that already, by the way) told me he wanted to send over authentic Thai ramen to me, imported from Thailand, was I going to say no? Of course not! What arrived at my doorstep was this: Of course, there was no sign of English anywhere on this, but packaged ramen aren't that hard to follow through with. So out came the ramen itself into the bowl, along with the shrimp flavored powder, the spicy sauce that makes everything come together and a guesstimate of the water I wanted. What I ended up after nuking it for 2 minutes was this: This was soupy, spicy, not particularly strong in shrimp taste, probably because I added way too much water, but that's how I like it, 2 me

Where Customers Aren't Wanted

So I've been writing reviews and blogs for a long time now. And never have I ever written a negative review for anyone because I firmly believe I don't have the right to hurt anyone's business. I have been so firm in this practice that I have often been labeled as a 'bought blogger', someone who is paid to write positive reviews (I wish! I wouldn't have to work 2 jobs then). This recent experience however, takes the cake. Literally! I have waited a week to write this review just so that I could recall it objectively and without that hot flush of anger that comes when a paying customer is disrespected by a home-based caterer. Now I'll be honest with you, there have of course been situations where the food is so unpalatable that I haven't been able to consume it, but I have spoken directly to the owners of the establishments and left it up to them to decide how to proceed further. There has even been a situation where a home-based baker actually forgot

Steak_CFU: Is the Hype Real?

Every so often, an eatery pops up and creates an immediate uproar with an influx of reviews on social media labeling it as God's gift to mankind. Steak_CFU has recently been just one such place, with a negative review facing passionate backlash of 'Haw hai, never ever is it possible for falana dhimkana cheez to happen at this blessed by the angels eatery, and I've been ten billion times already!' With bookings going on for a month in advance, and the eatery having survived for over 5 months, my curiosity was piqued enough to make my first visit at 6:30 p.m. which is more of a linner (lunch+dinner) time slot I detest unless I'm intermittent fasting for a friend's birthday dinner, and a reservation which I did not make.  As soon as we were served the menu, the charming Khurram Rasheed who is the man behind the food walked in to greet us, (At this point, I have a story to tell which I shall share after my steak experience) and I left the choice of flavor, steak