Skip to main content

Dubai 2015

As promised, here's my review of almost everything I ate in Dubai, with pictures!
Please note that since I haven't traveled outside of the country since I was 7, and my last memory is of eating strawberries with whipped cream dipped in sugar with a view of the Eiffel Tower when I was in Paris, my oooing and aahhiinngg over the food in Dubai might be just a regularly normal experience for you.
With that out of the way, my first stop had to be Starbucks and Tim Hortons, coffee slave that I am. I definitely found Tim Hortons to be much more satisfying with better options. Although I did have the turkey and cheese croissant at Starbucks, which was lovely the coffee was just...meh. My true love Tim however, had good ol' French Vanilla and somehow their coffee just had more body and flavor. Also, the bagels, biscuits, muffins and can we please not forget the fresh chips? Yum!
Next, my cousin insisted we try Laduree (La-dure-ay)'s macarons, which I gotta tell ya, are little morsels of heaven. I haven't found anything that comes close to them. Not even Okra. Sabeen Rasool of Gateau is the closest thing to Laduree's macarons in Karachi. Salted caramel and pistachio just literally melted in my mouth. The texture is difficult to describe. Slightly crunchy, very soft, and strong flavors of each melding in harmony to the texture. The rose cake was something I wasn't very sure of, because when it came to the table, it was kinda...well, wet. But oh, how wrong I was. It was spongy, it was soft, it was definitely rose flavoured but not overpoweringly so. I wasn't a fan of anything rose except the flower before I ate that, and I know l'll probably never be able to find anything like it here.
Then we move on to IHOP breakfast with a view of the Burj and do you know, the fountain works during the day too? I didn't know either! We got the cream cheese pancakes which were soft, fluffy and abundantly filled with cream cheese. And if you don't like cream cheese and pancakes with whipped cream and strawberry compote, there's something wrong with you. The IHOP coffee was just aight, and helped soothed my frayed nerves, because I'm not used to leaving home without coffee.
The Godiva store in Yas (Always made me go yaaaaassssss) Mall at Abu Dhabi with me in it was literally a kid in the candy store scenario. I was prancing around and asking prices of all the chocolates and had already bought 4 things before family intervention. The ice cream cone which sadly comes in just chocolate, vanilla and the two mixed made greedy little me go for both mixed, of course. And it was just uuuffff. I have no words for it. No words. After I got it, I wondered how I'd possibly finish it but I persevered, tried my best, and didn't have dinner after if.
Now, everyone who's been to Dubai knows La Maison du Chocolate don't come cheap. And when I popped a small square of dark chocolate infused with cinnamon into my mouth, I knew why. That little sucker (I literally sucked on it till it finished) was pure decadent dark chocolate made with the finest cacao and the flavor of cinnamon infused perfectly with it. Not too much, so it overwhelmed the chocolateyness, and not too little, so you didn't feel gypped about the cinnamon. It made me dance the entire time I had it in my mouth.
Two of the places that left a lasting impression were Hatam and The Farm. I was in love with Hatam's cheese platter served with hot nan and everything else took s backseat for me. That cheese was divine with the assortment of baby spinach, spring onions, pickles, olives and walnuts. That was pretty much my meal. I couldn't resist the chelo kabab and the chops though. While the chops did have that distinct meaty smell, it didn't hit me in the face and wasn't obnoxiously strong. The meat was tender, succulent and deliciously flavoured. The chelo kababs were honestly what people raved about them. I don't know what spices they used, but I didn't miss the mirchi even once.
Moving on to The Farm at Al-Barari. Fancy place with menus on their iPad. Decent assortment of items but what I wanted was The Farm Bolognese pasta. I don't remember the exact name, but the flavors imprinted themselves in my taste buds. There was not a hint of chili anywhere. The tomatoes, sausage, meat, everything spoke for itself. It was hearty, it was filling and it is something I wish I could recreate at home.
Of course, how can I forget Yamanote, Eataly and Mooyah? Eataly was food heaven for me. An entire bar dedicated to Nutella. Hello? Who will NOT fall in love? Inside it was a small Italian market, complete with cheese, pastas, sauces, relishes and so much more I didn't even find the time to look at!
I specifically asked for the spaghetti carbonara and I wasn't disappointed! It was al dente spaghetti, not mushed to death, so there was a bite to it. The carbonara sauce itself was perfection, flavoured with Turkey bacon I know I won't find here. Sigh.
Then comes Yamanote. This place is pure love. You enter the shop, grab a tray and tongs, and proceed to help yourself. There was a huge assortment of everything bready. Curry buns, udon buns, salted caramel buns, cinnamon buns, cream custard buns, mini Japanese cheesecakes, nutella stuffed buns. It was a Japanese fusion restaurant and each and every single thing was just a party in my mouth. Their coffee was delicious too!
Mooyah is basically a burger place, and while I found it to be better than Shake Shack, on the whole spectrum I find our local burgers (CoughOMGcough) do a much better job. The fries and onion rings though, let's learn something from there.
PF Chang's while good, I suppose was overhyped for me. While the dynamite shrimps were delicious as was the Mongolian beef, I think I'll skip it on my next trip.
Krispy Kreme's glazed doughnut was also a treat to eat, although I'm not really a doughnut fan, but I was glad my cousin insisted I try it.
On the whole, I pretty much ate my way through Dubai and Abu Dhabi and don't regret a minute of it because I loved it. Also, walking till my feet broke and fell off, hello? I actually feel like I haven't gained much weight during this vacation (Fingers crossed) although I ate like a monster. Dubai made my tummy very happy ☺️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Thai - For the Love of Ramen

Disclaimer: A friend sent me this ramen to try, so I didn't pay for it, but my opinion is as honest as it always is. Okay, I have to admit. I'm a sucker for packaged, unhealthy, and sinfully delicious ramen. So when my friend Omer, husband of the very famous Eman's Cakes (A blog is up on that already, by the way) told me he wanted to send over authentic Thai ramen to me, imported from Thailand, was I going to say no? Of course not! What arrived at my doorstep was this: Of course, there was no sign of English anywhere on this, but packaged ramen aren't that hard to follow through with. So out came the ramen itself into the bowl, along with the shrimp flavored powder, the spicy sauce that makes everything come together and a guesstimate of the water I wanted. What I ended up after nuking it for 2 minutes was this: This was soupy, spicy, not particularly strong in shrimp taste, probably because I added way too much water, but that's how I like it, 2 me

Where Customers Aren't Wanted

So I've been writing reviews and blogs for a long time now. And never have I ever written a negative review for anyone because I firmly believe I don't have the right to hurt anyone's business. I have been so firm in this practice that I have often been labeled as a 'bought blogger', someone who is paid to write positive reviews (I wish! I wouldn't have to work 2 jobs then). This recent experience however, takes the cake. Literally! I have waited a week to write this review just so that I could recall it objectively and without that hot flush of anger that comes when a paying customer is disrespected by a home-based caterer. Now I'll be honest with you, there have of course been situations where the food is so unpalatable that I haven't been able to consume it, but I have spoken directly to the owners of the establishments and left it up to them to decide how to proceed further. There has even been a situation where a home-based baker actually forgot

Steak_CFU: Is the Hype Real?

Every so often, an eatery pops up and creates an immediate uproar with an influx of reviews on social media labeling it as God's gift to mankind. Steak_CFU has recently been just one such place, with a negative review facing passionate backlash of 'Haw hai, never ever is it possible for falana dhimkana cheez to happen at this blessed by the angels eatery, and I've been ten billion times already!' With bookings going on for a month in advance, and the eatery having survived for over 5 months, my curiosity was piqued enough to make my first visit at 6:30 p.m. which is more of a linner (lunch+dinner) time slot I detest unless I'm intermittent fasting for a friend's birthday dinner, and a reservation which I did not make.  As soon as we were served the menu, the charming Khurram Rasheed who is the man behind the food walked in to greet us, (At this point, I have a story to tell which I shall share after my steak experience) and I left the choice of flavor, steak