Skip to main content

Craving for Khaosuey

You know what I love more than biryani? A success story in Karachi's competitive food and beverage industry. One such recent addition is Saniya's Kitchen, which started off really small as a stall at Karachi Eat Festival a few years ago, and there's been no looking back since for the owner who has put her heart and soul into her work, Saniya. When she invited my friends and I for a taste testing of her menu, I couldn't help but be honored and humbled that she trusted my taste buds. Now, even though this was an invitation the feedback given directly to the owner was honest, direct and at times, brutal because it is only when we truthfully share our concerns and give constructive criticism that an eatery thrives and grows.

Starting off as a home-based business selling delicious khaosuey, Saniya has since then opened a small eatery on Seher Commercial Avenue, right in the lane of The Burger Shack. The nicely lit sign in grey is pretty easy to spot upon entering the lane, and the eatery itself is nicely lit and has both chairs and benches to accommodate customers.

The menu boasts a primarily Thai menu, but also has a few specialties thrown in such as chicken strips for kids and and Kung Pao Chicken. The pricing of the food items is beyond reasonable, considering the ingredients used for the dishes. The helpings are enough for two to three moderately hungry people, and are definitely worth a try.

We were stuffed to our gills with all the food my friends and I tried. The fried wontons were definitely different with a mayonnaise and chicken mince filling, something I'm positive my dad would love. The Tom Yum Soup had kaffir lime leaves, galangal, and bamboo, imparting all their aromatic flavors into the coconut milk concoction. Moving on to the mains, the star of the show for me was definitely the crabs. The spice on the shell went well with the sweet tender crab meat inside, so prepare to get down and dirty with these beauties. The next hit with everyone was the Garlic Rice, strongly seasoned with garlic and just absolutely delicious on its own. The Thai Red Curry for the price was sufficient, and feedback was given to the owner for improvement. The tender succulent pieces of Mongolian Beef was the next hit item on the menu, followed by the Kung Pao Chicken, which I didn't even get a chance to try. Thanks, guys -_- I also enjoyed the tangy flavor and tender Tamarind Fish, which while cannot compare to other eateries, has a flavor profile of its own and is definitely worth a try.

All in all, this was a fun and well-spent evening with friends eating delicious food and celebrating the success of yet another local eatery. Wishing Saniya all the best in her future endeavors.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Thai - For the Love of Ramen

Disclaimer: A friend sent me this ramen to try, so I didn't pay for it, but my opinion is as honest as it always is. Okay, I have to admit. I'm a sucker for packaged, unhealthy, and sinfully delicious ramen. So when my friend Omer, husband of the very famous Eman's Cakes (A blog is up on that already, by the way) told me he wanted to send over authentic Thai ramen to me, imported from Thailand, was I going to say no? Of course not! What arrived at my doorstep was this: Of course, there was no sign of English anywhere on this, but packaged ramen aren't that hard to follow through with. So out came the ramen itself into the bowl, along with the shrimp flavored powder, the spicy sauce that makes everything come together and a guesstimate of the water I wanted. What I ended up after nuking it for 2 minutes was this: This was soupy, spicy, not particularly strong in shrimp taste, probably because I added way too much water, but that's how I like it, 2 me

Where Customers Aren't Wanted

So I've been writing reviews and blogs for a long time now. And never have I ever written a negative review for anyone because I firmly believe I don't have the right to hurt anyone's business. I have been so firm in this practice that I have often been labeled as a 'bought blogger', someone who is paid to write positive reviews (I wish! I wouldn't have to work 2 jobs then). This recent experience however, takes the cake. Literally! I have waited a week to write this review just so that I could recall it objectively and without that hot flush of anger that comes when a paying customer is disrespected by a home-based caterer. Now I'll be honest with you, there have of course been situations where the food is so unpalatable that I haven't been able to consume it, but I have spoken directly to the owners of the establishments and left it up to them to decide how to proceed further. There has even been a situation where a home-based baker actually forgot

Steak_CFU: Is the Hype Real?

Every so often, an eatery pops up and creates an immediate uproar with an influx of reviews on social media labeling it as God's gift to mankind. Steak_CFU has recently been just one such place, with a negative review facing passionate backlash of 'Haw hai, never ever is it possible for falana dhimkana cheez to happen at this blessed by the angels eatery, and I've been ten billion times already!' With bookings going on for a month in advance, and the eatery having survived for over 5 months, my curiosity was piqued enough to make my first visit at 6:30 p.m. which is more of a linner (lunch+dinner) time slot I detest unless I'm intermittent fasting for a friend's birthday dinner, and a reservation which I did not make.  As soon as we were served the menu, the charming Khurram Rasheed who is the man behind the food walked in to greet us, (At this point, I have a story to tell which I shall share after my steak experience) and I left the choice of flavor, steak