Skip to main content

New Delights at Newbury

When your friend starts consulting for an eatery and invites you to try out their wares, what do you do? You say yaasssss, hold up, I'm on my way! That's exactly what I did when my friend Yasha invited me to Newbury. Just to be clear, I was invited in the capacity of a blogger and a friend who can be trusted to give honest feedback. I did not pay for anything, but this was one of those few times where I enjoyed everything at my table.

I brought my cousin along who loves food as much as I do and has a discerning palate. The promise of a good carpaccio is what lured me to Newbury, and it was a promise delivered. Now for the purists, don't freak out when you see it was served on a crispy flatbread, hence the name Carpaccio Crisp. The truffle oil, dressing, and squeeze of the lemon provided atop the fresh, tender carpaccio blended perfectly with the crispy bread everything was settled on. I would skip on the rocket though. The peppery flavor overwhelms the carpaccio. But the twist of the carpaccio on the crispy flatbread, that I liked. 

Then came along the Chicken on the Bone, Served with Salad and Crisp Potato Chips. Now, the magic in this seemingly simple dish comes from two things. The first is the method with which the chicken is cooked. It's called sous-vide (Pronounced soovee. You're welcome) Newbury is the first of restaurant I know of where this cooking method is used to produce the perfectly cooked chicken. Tender, juicy, succulent with the meat falling off the bone, and yet not falling apart, preserving its texture and flavor. The sauce it was basted in was spectacular flavor, and one I really can't describe. I think it was the same sauce served on the side with the chicken. I would honestly take it home, and have it with rice, roti, or even with a spoon, it was that yummy. The salad was meh. No dressing, no thank you. The sun-dried tomatoes are in-house, and while I did enjoy them, I picked them out from the salad and ate them. The string potatoes I thought were fried noodles, so don't make my mistake and eat the aalu!

We got to try the Crab and Shrimp Pizza next. The flatbread was similar to the one in the Carpaccio Crisp, but the cheese, sauce, and sweet crab meat flavor infused into the pizza, along with the shrimp perched on each slice made this a delight to eat. I have definitely not had a pizza as good as this before, and I don't exaggerate. Well, maybe except for the pizzas my khala used to make from scratch when I was a kid. Now, if you're the sort of person who's going to count how many shrimp are on one slice, don't order this one, okay? I personally thought that one shrimp was enough for one slice otherwise the crab flavor wouldn't come through. 

The second pizza was a special one made for us by the owner himself *insert huge grin at special treatment here*, a simple but beautiful Margherita. Why was it beautiful? In its simplicity, with high quality ingredients. Not the finest, not the best, not the most expensive in the world, but definitely high quality cheese, flour and fresh basil, with a base of well made marinara sauce. I always say the marinara plays an important part in any pizza. 

By this point, I was beyond full and still had a dessert to go. I needed something other than water to sip on while I took a break from eating. The mint lemonade was suggested, and it didn't disappoint. It wasn't too sweet, was nice and tart and the fresh mint really did make a difference.

Now for the dessert. Mujhe Maro. Nahin, mujhe mat maro, that was the name of the dessert. It was a chocolate dome and a cake base, sandwiching vanilla ice cream. This is the perfect summer dessert. And if you're a child of the 80s and 90s, the chocolate will remind you of the hard chocolate coating at Snoopy's, just elevated in finer chocolate flavor. Yasha seemed borderline offended by my comparison, but I don't think he comprehends just how much I love and miss Snoopy. Now for the name, 'Mujhe Maro' is coined because the chocolate dome has to be cracked before melted hot chocolate is poured over the top. The dome of chocolate melts and so does the ice cream. This is a dessert you have to try! There was an issue with the cake slice, but that was because it had been microwaved prior to plating. The sudden hot-cold-hot temperature change caused the cake to get hard and crumbly from soft and spongy. Just to make sure this doesn't happen to you, ask your server not to nuke the cake. 

For my taste testing was a definite delight, with clear care taken into everything from the interior to the ingredients. As I always say, being invited and going on your own can be two entirely different stories. I'll make a surprise visit on my own to see how I fare without an invitation in the near future. Until then, Newbury is my new favorite place for excellent food.
























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Thai - For the Love of Ramen

Disclaimer: A friend sent me this ramen to try, so I didn't pay for it, but my opinion is as honest as it always is. Okay, I have to admit. I'm a sucker for packaged, unhealthy, and sinfully delicious ramen. So when my friend Omer, husband of the very famous Eman's Cakes (A blog is up on that already, by the way) told me he wanted to send over authentic Thai ramen to me, imported from Thailand, was I going to say no? Of course not! What arrived at my doorstep was this: Of course, there was no sign of English anywhere on this, but packaged ramen aren't that hard to follow through with. So out came the ramen itself into the bowl, along with the shrimp flavored powder, the spicy sauce that makes everything come together and a guesstimate of the water I wanted. What I ended up after nuking it for 2 minutes was this: This was soupy, spicy, not particularly strong in shrimp taste, probably because I added way too much water, but that's how I like it, 2 me

Where Customers Aren't Wanted

So I've been writing reviews and blogs for a long time now. And never have I ever written a negative review for anyone because I firmly believe I don't have the right to hurt anyone's business. I have been so firm in this practice that I have often been labeled as a 'bought blogger', someone who is paid to write positive reviews (I wish! I wouldn't have to work 2 jobs then). This recent experience however, takes the cake. Literally! I have waited a week to write this review just so that I could recall it objectively and without that hot flush of anger that comes when a paying customer is disrespected by a home-based caterer. Now I'll be honest with you, there have of course been situations where the food is so unpalatable that I haven't been able to consume it, but I have spoken directly to the owners of the establishments and left it up to them to decide how to proceed further. There has even been a situation where a home-based baker actually forgot

Steak_CFU: Is the Hype Real?

Every so often, an eatery pops up and creates an immediate uproar with an influx of reviews on social media labeling it as God's gift to mankind. Steak_CFU has recently been just one such place, with a negative review facing passionate backlash of 'Haw hai, never ever is it possible for falana dhimkana cheez to happen at this blessed by the angels eatery, and I've been ten billion times already!' With bookings going on for a month in advance, and the eatery having survived for over 5 months, my curiosity was piqued enough to make my first visit at 6:30 p.m. which is more of a linner (lunch+dinner) time slot I detest unless I'm intermittent fasting for a friend's birthday dinner, and a reservation which I did not make.  As soon as we were served the menu, the charming Khurram Rasheed who is the man behind the food walked in to greet us, (At this point, I have a story to tell which I shall share after my steak experience) and I left the choice of flavor, steak