Skip to main content

Bonsai Pan Asian Kitchen

This blog will be like pulling off a band aid. Relatively quick, but a little painful.

Okay, who are we kidding? My blogs are never short :p

Visited Bonsai Pan Asian Kitchen earlier this evening with my parents, aunt and uncle. The menu seemed to be the standard offerings of the Pan Asian food fad that has gripped Karachi in its clutches as of late. 

My father ordered the Tom Yum with chicken, which he really enjoyed. It was reminiscent of Baan Thai which was our first love, but has closed down unfortunately. I ordered the Som Yum papaya salad which was very fresh, with the strong flavors I'm accustomed to. The kicker in this which won me over was the generous, juicy, large serving of prawns. The best part was, the seafood did not smell, and was definitely a highlight of my evening. My aunt ordered the Special Seafood Chowder which she really enjoyed, but to be honest it was corn soup with a whole lot of vegetables and prawns in it. I didn't see any fish. calamari or potato. Perhaps rename it to Special Seafood Soup? I also ordered the Beef Tataki, which I requested be sliced very, very thinly so that the beef gets a chance to marinate properly in the sauce. This was my first disappointment of the evening. The beef was sliced thicker than I like and the sauce was just sour, smelling strongly of uncooked vinegar. Didn't like that one at all. It also came when we were done with the appetizers because our server forgot and had to be reminded that we had one more appetizer left. Then I went on to try the Bangkok Chili Bites, which again was a dish doused very heavily in vinegar, with absolutely no other taste coming through. A sour boneless chicken bite on a stick I would not want to try again.

On to the mains we go. First of all, there was a very generous serving of both Egg Fried Rice and White Rice served with our meal, which was appreciated. We ordered the Garlic Chicken which was actually quite strongly flavored with garlic, and it was definitely a dish other Pan Asian restaurants should learn how to make. I particularly enjoyed that. The second dish we ordered was Mongolian Beef which I didn't enjoy. There was no umami flavor, and the beef was overcooked. The longer the beef sat, the tougher it became. The final main of the evening was the Teppanyaki Chicken, which we again had to remind our server to bring. He also forgot the two sauces, which was really sad because they might have helped enhance the flavor of the overcooked, dry chicken. I wish the Garlic Rice that came with it had been as strongly flavored as the Garlic Chicken.

My uncle wanted to end the evening with a dessert, and we were given a choice between a slice of Del Frio Heavenly Chocolate Cake, which I did not want to risk, and a Chocolate Mousse. Looking to salvage the evening somewhat, I decided to go with the mousse which was a major oops. This dessert was just sugar, sugar, sugar. No taste of actual chocolate and definitely left an aftertaste in my mouth. The consistency of the mousse was not mousse-like. It was runny, runnier than chocolate pudding and was just no. 

I didn't get a look at the bill, but my dad told me it was a pricey place, and he too felt the food wasn't worth it. I'm sure there are people who enjoy the offerings at Bonsai, but there's nothing there that I would like to try again.

Oh, and I also gave my feedback to the owner who was very hands-on and present, so I hope he works on the things I have mentioned.

Bangkok Chili Bites

Beef Tataki

Teppanyaki Chicken

Chocolate Mousse

Egg Fried Rice

Garlic Chicken

Garlic Rice

Mongolian Beef

Som Tum

Chicken Tom Yum

Comments

  1. Are you ready to spend adventurous minutes? It's time for The Torture Game 2 to have more fun than previous versions. You can have fun in this game by torturing. Turn violence into reality.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Thai - For the Love of Ramen

Disclaimer: A friend sent me this ramen to try, so I didn't pay for it, but my opinion is as honest as it always is. Okay, I have to admit. I'm a sucker for packaged, unhealthy, and sinfully delicious ramen. So when my friend Omer, husband of the very famous Eman's Cakes (A blog is up on that already, by the way) told me he wanted to send over authentic Thai ramen to me, imported from Thailand, was I going to say no? Of course not! What arrived at my doorstep was this: Of course, there was no sign of English anywhere on this, but packaged ramen aren't that hard to follow through with. So out came the ramen itself into the bowl, along with the shrimp flavored powder, the spicy sauce that makes everything come together and a guesstimate of the water I wanted. What I ended up after nuking it for 2 minutes was this: This was soupy, spicy, not particularly strong in shrimp taste, probably because I added way too much water, but that's how I like it, 2 me

Where Customers Aren't Wanted

So I've been writing reviews and blogs for a long time now. And never have I ever written a negative review for anyone because I firmly believe I don't have the right to hurt anyone's business. I have been so firm in this practice that I have often been labeled as a 'bought blogger', someone who is paid to write positive reviews (I wish! I wouldn't have to work 2 jobs then). This recent experience however, takes the cake. Literally! I have waited a week to write this review just so that I could recall it objectively and without that hot flush of anger that comes when a paying customer is disrespected by a home-based caterer. Now I'll be honest with you, there have of course been situations where the food is so unpalatable that I haven't been able to consume it, but I have spoken directly to the owners of the establishments and left it up to them to decide how to proceed further. There has even been a situation where a home-based baker actually forgot

Steak_CFU: Is the Hype Real?

Every so often, an eatery pops up and creates an immediate uproar with an influx of reviews on social media labeling it as God's gift to mankind. Steak_CFU has recently been just one such place, with a negative review facing passionate backlash of 'Haw hai, never ever is it possible for falana dhimkana cheez to happen at this blessed by the angels eatery, and I've been ten billion times already!' With bookings going on for a month in advance, and the eatery having survived for over 5 months, my curiosity was piqued enough to make my first visit at 6:30 p.m. which is more of a linner (lunch+dinner) time slot I detest unless I'm intermittent fasting for a friend's birthday dinner, and a reservation which I did not make.  As soon as we were served the menu, the charming Khurram Rasheed who is the man behind the food walked in to greet us, (At this point, I have a story to tell which I shall share after my steak experience) and I left the choice of flavor, steak