Skip to main content

Oldies and Relatively New Goldies

This piece is about a few special places where I never experiment with the menu. I know what I want and I eat it joyfully every single time. Following in no specific order, let's begin:

1. Espresso: I'm not very fond of club sandwiches. They can be too eggy, too messy, too dry. You get the picture. However, Espresso's Smoked Turkey Club Sandwich is one I can order again and again again and have zero complaints. Smokey salty slices of delicious turkey bologna with a concoction of the perfect mix of crunchy, fresh vegetables and sauce is sandwiched between toasted-to-perfection brown bread slices. This sandwich doesn't fall apart, can be eaten warm or cold, and holds its shape perfectly until the last bite. The wedges option with it completes the meal.

Along with this meal I order the Green Apple Slush (Not pictured) and the hash browns which are a meal on their own. Absolutely perfect crunchy on the outside and fluffy potato goodness on the inside. The Green Apple Slush is the perfect mix of sweet and tart, and even delivers well! It's a very refreshing drink no matter what you accompany it with.

Call 021-111-393377 for delivery.























2. Chairman Mao: Everyone knows Chairman Mao for its impeccable quality of Chinese food, gelato and sushi. My favorite things to order though, are from the Comfort Menu. The helpings are enough for 2 people, or if you're lucky like me, you get to eat dinner and then a late night snack. The Greek Feta Salad, Mozzarella Sticks and Fettuccine Alfredo is the order I stick to. The salad doesn't skimp on the cheese, the mozzarella sticks are cheesy goodness and served with one of the best marinaras commercially available, and the Fetuccine Alfredo is so creamy, with plenty of chicken for every bite and an extra serving of Parmesan cheese. I know my order will never fall below the bar of excellence I have for Chairman Mao.

Call 021-35853333.

3. Super Nursery Bunkabab: This place holds a special place in my heart because my parents, aunts and uncles enjoyed bunkababs from here when it was a wee roadside stall, and they were wee children themselves. It now serves thousands of people daily and has grown only because the food is so amazing. I have never eaten bunkababs from anywhere else that are so flavorful, with generous portions of onions on the side and their in-house chutney.This is one place where everything on the menu is perfect. Can't order delivery from there, unfortunately, but if you go to the Nursery Market and ask for Super Nursery Bunkabab, you'll be guided the right way!

P.S.: That's my dad discussing the order in the video :D





4. Golden Dragon: There have always been people who either hate Golden Dragon or love it. I belong to the latter group because I know exactly what to order. The Steamed Spicy Wontons (Brown sauce not the red one), Crispy Beef, and Chicken American Chop Suey with an extra noodle nest because the gravy helping is so generous, the noodles finish before the gravy. This meal lasts me for 3 days, not even kidding. As I type, I have a last helping of the wontons and beef in my fridge, just waiting to be eaten.

Call 0321-2172166 if you want delicious and hot desi Chinese that lasts for days.

5. Mr. Burger: If you are a child of the 80s then you know, that in a world full of bunkababs, there was only Mr. Burger that provided consistently delicious burgers. As I entered my 20s, the craving for it dissipated, and other burger joints and cuisines were introduced into my life. And then, Mr. Burger opened in Defence, on Khayaban-e-Rahat. And I can confidently say that it was at that moment Mr. Burger re-entered my life. The same peppery, mustardy patty, but better buns and even better fries! As I got older, I understood the value of tried and tested. Good ol' reliable. Mr. Burger. I hope this is one place that never shuts down and serves the same consistently top quality food for generations to come.

If you only want to try the Rahat branch, call 021-35835975.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Thai - For the Love of Ramen

Disclaimer: A friend sent me this ramen to try, so I didn't pay for it, but my opinion is as honest as it always is. Okay, I have to admit. I'm a sucker for packaged, unhealthy, and sinfully delicious ramen. So when my friend Omer, husband of the very famous Eman's Cakes (A blog is up on that already, by the way) told me he wanted to send over authentic Thai ramen to me, imported from Thailand, was I going to say no? Of course not! What arrived at my doorstep was this: Of course, there was no sign of English anywhere on this, but packaged ramen aren't that hard to follow through with. So out came the ramen itself into the bowl, along with the shrimp flavored powder, the spicy sauce that makes everything come together and a guesstimate of the water I wanted. What I ended up after nuking it for 2 minutes was this: This was soupy, spicy, not particularly strong in shrimp taste, probably because I added way too much water, but that's how I like it, 2 me

Where Customers Aren't Wanted

So I've been writing reviews and blogs for a long time now. And never have I ever written a negative review for anyone because I firmly believe I don't have the right to hurt anyone's business. I have been so firm in this practice that I have often been labeled as a 'bought blogger', someone who is paid to write positive reviews (I wish! I wouldn't have to work 2 jobs then). This recent experience however, takes the cake. Literally! I have waited a week to write this review just so that I could recall it objectively and without that hot flush of anger that comes when a paying customer is disrespected by a home-based caterer. Now I'll be honest with you, there have of course been situations where the food is so unpalatable that I haven't been able to consume it, but I have spoken directly to the owners of the establishments and left it up to them to decide how to proceed further. There has even been a situation where a home-based baker actually forgot

Steak_CFU: Is the Hype Real?

Every so often, an eatery pops up and creates an immediate uproar with an influx of reviews on social media labeling it as God's gift to mankind. Steak_CFU has recently been just one such place, with a negative review facing passionate backlash of 'Haw hai, never ever is it possible for falana dhimkana cheez to happen at this blessed by the angels eatery, and I've been ten billion times already!' With bookings going on for a month in advance, and the eatery having survived for over 5 months, my curiosity was piqued enough to make my first visit at 6:30 p.m. which is more of a linner (lunch+dinner) time slot I detest unless I'm intermittent fasting for a friend's birthday dinner, and a reservation which I did not make.  As soon as we were served the menu, the charming Khurram Rasheed who is the man behind the food walked in to greet us, (At this point, I have a story to tell which I shall share after my steak experience) and I left the choice of flavor, steak