Skip to main content

The Fasting Game

There are many people who thoroughly enjoy going out for iftari. And then there are people like yours truly who would do anything to get out of it. We like our pre-preparation rituals, we know exactly what we want to break our fast with, and whether we want caffeine or dinner post-prayer. 

During this month you can feel like you're missing out on lots of fun things to eat outside the house, when the truth is you can do any of the following and enjoy iftar at home: 

- Go to an outlet providing takeaway services and bring food home for iftar

- Go out late night and enjoy the lovely Karachi evenings with friends and family

- Get food delivered at your doorstep. 

Here are a few favorite places I know I can rely on to get me through any day of the week, fasting or not.



1. Chairman Mao - Known for its delicious Chinese and Japanese food, I dial Chairman Mao's number when I'm in dire need of comfort food. Gelato, pasta, mozzarella sticks and much more is available on Chairman Mao's Comfort Food menu. Dial 02135853333 to place your order.

2. Feefo - My family can tell if dahi baray, which are a staple in Pakistani iftaris aren't from Feefo. This is a little shop in Bahadurabad where my father has been getting dahi baray from for years. The yogurt is sweet, the baras are soft and the masala is the best in town. Not kidding. Recently my dad tried out a new place for dahi baray and the masala was atrocious!

3. Thelay Walay ki Kachori - If you go to the Hanif Bun Kabab lane near Pakistan Chowk, there is a thela (Stall) in that street. There you will find the best kachori and aalu in town. The kachoris themselves are crispy from the outside, but pillowy soft on the inside and filled with a soft, delicious lentil stuffing. The aalu is flavorful, not too spicy but the perfect accompaniment to the kachori.  I would suggest not eating these babies everyday because they are so heavy, but do treat yourself at least once. They're worth the effort of going out and standing in line to buy them. 














4. Waheed Kabab House/Al-Haaj Bundu Khan/ Syed Abdul Ghaffar Kabab House - Lumping all three eateries in one point because I love all of them equally. If ever my family is in the mood for a desi iftar, these are our top 3 choices for kabab, paratha and halwa. Of course, there are certain dishes which are specific to each eatery, such as fish fillet from Ghaffar's, dhaga kabab from Waheed, and seekh kabab from Bundoo Khan. All of these places have been around for as long as I can remember and they never disappoint. 



5. Mr. Burger - If you crave an old-school burger post iftar, then you know you can count on Mr. Burger. My personal preference is to get it from the Rahat Commercial outlet, because they have been consistent in terms of food quality and service. My choice has been the same since I was old enough to order for myself. Mr. Big with cheese meal and a Fanta. Always and forever, Mr. Burger will be my first true love in burgerworld. You can get it delivered by calling 02135841617.




6. OMG - Speaking of burgers, if there's any place I prefer ordering from if I want a massive, juicy gourmet burger, it's Oh My Grill. This eatery has taken burgers from meh to my goodness! I prefer getting them delivered from their original outlet simply because it's closer to my residence. If you feel like eating a massive burger and having some saved for sehri, call 03356646646.


7. Xander's - While this eatery has had its fair share of misses, especially the original outlet in recent times, the Bukhari branch has fared much better in terms of consistent service. There are several things I order from Xander's regularly, simply because I know they'll be perfect every time. If I had to order for early sehri, it would be the Classic Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon, and their fresh apple juice. I'd polish it off with the Apple and Cinnamon French Toast. Any other meal it would have to be the Crab Gratin, Prawn and Calamari Spaghetti, Chicken Jalapeno Pizza and the Cranberry and Ginger Cooler. Call 02135293654 for delivery.



8. Lal's - This eatery made it on the list for one reason alone. The Banh Mi Sandwich. I actually get cravings for this sandwich, simply because it is so fresh and perfectly flavored. Chicken patties, thin and beautifully seasoned, fresh herbs and vegetables are nestled in a baguette, making it the best Lal's has to offer. Call 02135343222 for delivery.

9. Rowtisserie - If you're on a health kick, but just don't feel like making sehri or iftar at home, Rowtisserie is your savior. If you want to order for the family, Row Meals is great option. I personally prefer their flame grilled option. They do have other options such as shawarma, pasta and sandwiches, but I always go for the chicken. Call 111-769-769 for delivery.


10. Espresso - Having been around for over a decade, Espresso has been my savior in times of coffee distress. Aside from a few hiccups over the years, Espresso has been consistently satisfying my cravings. During Ramzan, my order for a late night feast is their Smoke Turkey Club Sandwich, Hash Browns and a Green Apple Ice. Then again, that's my order the rest of the year too. Call 111-39-33-77 for delivery. 

There are other eateries where one can go and enjoy iftari, sehri or late night munchies, but this blog was specifically for my favorite takeaway and delivery spots during Ramzan. Do let me know what tempted you to order today! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Thai - For the Love of Ramen

Disclaimer: A friend sent me this ramen to try, so I didn't pay for it, but my opinion is as honest as it always is. Okay, I have to admit. I'm a sucker for packaged, unhealthy, and sinfully delicious ramen. So when my friend Omer, husband of the very famous Eman's Cakes (A blog is up on that already, by the way) told me he wanted to send over authentic Thai ramen to me, imported from Thailand, was I going to say no? Of course not! What arrived at my doorstep was this: Of course, there was no sign of English anywhere on this, but packaged ramen aren't that hard to follow through with. So out came the ramen itself into the bowl, along with the shrimp flavored powder, the spicy sauce that makes everything come together and a guesstimate of the water I wanted. What I ended up after nuking it for 2 minutes was this: This was soupy, spicy, not particularly strong in shrimp taste, probably because I added way too much water, but that's how I like it, 2 me

Where Customers Aren't Wanted

So I've been writing reviews and blogs for a long time now. And never have I ever written a negative review for anyone because I firmly believe I don't have the right to hurt anyone's business. I have been so firm in this practice that I have often been labeled as a 'bought blogger', someone who is paid to write positive reviews (I wish! I wouldn't have to work 2 jobs then). This recent experience however, takes the cake. Literally! I have waited a week to write this review just so that I could recall it objectively and without that hot flush of anger that comes when a paying customer is disrespected by a home-based caterer. Now I'll be honest with you, there have of course been situations where the food is so unpalatable that I haven't been able to consume it, but I have spoken directly to the owners of the establishments and left it up to them to decide how to proceed further. There has even been a situation where a home-based baker actually forgot

Steak_CFU: Is the Hype Real?

Every so often, an eatery pops up and creates an immediate uproar with an influx of reviews on social media labeling it as God's gift to mankind. Steak_CFU has recently been just one such place, with a negative review facing passionate backlash of 'Haw hai, never ever is it possible for falana dhimkana cheez to happen at this blessed by the angels eatery, and I've been ten billion times already!' With bookings going on for a month in advance, and the eatery having survived for over 5 months, my curiosity was piqued enough to make my first visit at 6:30 p.m. which is more of a linner (lunch+dinner) time slot I detest unless I'm intermittent fasting for a friend's birthday dinner, and a reservation which I did not make.  As soon as we were served the menu, the charming Khurram Rasheed who is the man behind the food walked in to greet us, (At this point, I have a story to tell which I shall share after my steak experience) and I left the choice of flavor, steak