Skip to main content

Around Town

Disclaimer: I'll try to keep this short, but if you've read my reviews we both know that's not going to happen. Scroll along if you don't feel like a long read :)

There are a few things I've been trying here and there over the past few months, but because they're not enough to warrant a complete review of an eatery, I have compiled them all in one place.

1. The Waffle Cart's Bubble Waffle: When I first heard about this and saw the posts, I thought it was a gimmicky attempt. Same thing, different form. Boy, was I wrong! The texture on these babies is different from your average waffle. These bubble waffles are a doughier consistency, with a crispy outside and fluffier, pancake-type inside. 

You can choose from a variety of toppings, sauces and your basic chocolate/vanilla ice cream to choose from. I went with Frerro Rocher, salted caramel and chocolate ice cream. Definitely generous with their toppings, although the salted caramel didn't really come through, sadly. However, the size of them is enough to fill you up at your hungriest. If you like waffles and pancakes, this is a winner.

P.S.: I took a bite before I remembered I had to take a picture. 






















2. Chatterbox Cafe: Every single time I've visited Chatterbox in Bukhari Commercial, I have always come away very happy with my food. This time around was no different. Got the Mint Lemonade, which I always enjoy. It's strong on mint, less on sugar and very refreshing on a hot day. 

A new thing I tried was the Buffalo Mac 'n' Cheese. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from it, because how exciting can a mac 'n' cheese be, you know? This one though, was really, really good. Straight up comfort food. It was cheesy, thick, creamy sauce, the macaroni wasn't overcooked, although it wasn't al dente either, but I wasn't expecting it to be, and the kick from the generous topping of buffalo sauce was just enough to add the flavor required, but not burn your insides. 

My only suggestion though, don't skimp on the chicken! The ratio of pasta to protein was off in this one. Overall though, a deliciously heavy comfort food. Could've done without the sad piece of garlic bread, though. It was too crisp, with basically no flavor. Also, that sprig of parsley was an entirely unnecessary garnish. Stood out like a sore thumb, and ended up being thrown away. Such a waste.






















3. Mews-Wholesome Kitchen: If I can't think of anywhere else to go, Mews is a place I always fall back on. Not just because it's so beautifully made, the food is consistently good, and even the fussiest of people enjoy their meal (For the most part). I've been thrice in the past month, once for brunch, and another time for dinner. 

Having read several reviews raving about the Breakfast Croissant, I wanted to see what the fuss was about. This is by far one of the best things I have tried at Mews. The croissant was perfect; flaky, soft, but still holding its own until the last bite. I don't know what was in that sauce, but it went brilliantly with the turkey (NOT your K&N's bologna, let me tell you), mushrooms and creamy Havarti cheese. 

It got served with a side of potatoes which were crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside, along with rocket, which I don't understand why. It was too strong and peppery to be served with such a delicate sandwich resonating with its different notes of deliciousness. It didn't need anything except that side of potatoes. Bas.

Their cappuccino which I ordered with a double shot of espresso was nice and strong, made with the skim milk I requested. Perfect brunch.

A friend and I were discussing where to go for dinner and finding out he had never visited Mews, I decided the situation had to be rectified immediately! I decided to try the Specials Menu since the board had been brought to the table and went with the Pepperoni Alfredo. Penne was the pasta of choice, served with a different Alfredo sauce. This one had a different cheese which I couldn't place, along with little onion bits I think, which lifted the entire dish to a whole new level of deliciousness. The pepperoni tied in everything together perfectly, and this was a serving large enough to take home if you've filled yourself up on the trio of fries and bread basket.

The third visit was with family, where the Quad Burgers from the Specials menu was ordered. All of the burgers were bite-sized, a bit smaller than I was expecting, but delicious nonetheless. I don't remember all of them correctly, but I believe there was a shrimp, steak and cheese, beef and chicken. Out of all these, the only one I disliked and couldn't swallow was the shrimp burger. It smelled very, very strongly of shrimp and I couldn't get past the smell to taste anything. 

Special shout out to the Hot Stuff Plank Pizza. This is a must-have starter for the table, or if you're really hungry, an entire meal just for you.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Thai - For the Love of Ramen

Disclaimer: A friend sent me this ramen to try, so I didn't pay for it, but my opinion is as honest as it always is. Okay, I have to admit. I'm a sucker for packaged, unhealthy, and sinfully delicious ramen. So when my friend Omer, husband of the very famous Eman's Cakes (A blog is up on that already, by the way) told me he wanted to send over authentic Thai ramen to me, imported from Thailand, was I going to say no? Of course not! What arrived at my doorstep was this: Of course, there was no sign of English anywhere on this, but packaged ramen aren't that hard to follow through with. So out came the ramen itself into the bowl, along with the shrimp flavored powder, the spicy sauce that makes everything come together and a guesstimate of the water I wanted. What I ended up after nuking it for 2 minutes was this: This was soupy, spicy, not particularly strong in shrimp taste, probably because I added way too much water, but that's how I like it, 2 me

Where Customers Aren't Wanted

So I've been writing reviews and blogs for a long time now. And never have I ever written a negative review for anyone because I firmly believe I don't have the right to hurt anyone's business. I have been so firm in this practice that I have often been labeled as a 'bought blogger', someone who is paid to write positive reviews (I wish! I wouldn't have to work 2 jobs then). This recent experience however, takes the cake. Literally! I have waited a week to write this review just so that I could recall it objectively and without that hot flush of anger that comes when a paying customer is disrespected by a home-based caterer. Now I'll be honest with you, there have of course been situations where the food is so unpalatable that I haven't been able to consume it, but I have spoken directly to the owners of the establishments and left it up to them to decide how to proceed further. There has even been a situation where a home-based baker actually forgot

Steak_CFU: Is the Hype Real?

Every so often, an eatery pops up and creates an immediate uproar with an influx of reviews on social media labeling it as God's gift to mankind. Steak_CFU has recently been just one such place, with a negative review facing passionate backlash of 'Haw hai, never ever is it possible for falana dhimkana cheez to happen at this blessed by the angels eatery, and I've been ten billion times already!' With bookings going on for a month in advance, and the eatery having survived for over 5 months, my curiosity was piqued enough to make my first visit at 6:30 p.m. which is more of a linner (lunch+dinner) time slot I detest unless I'm intermittent fasting for a friend's birthday dinner, and a reservation which I did not make.  As soon as we were served the menu, the charming Khurram Rasheed who is the man behind the food walked in to greet us, (At this point, I have a story to tell which I shall share after my steak experience) and I left the choice of flavor, steak